Re: depcomp on system headers

From: David Everly
Subject: Re: depcomp on system headers
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 06:08:39 -0600

On 8/8/06, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
* David Everly wrote on Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 12:56:12AM CEST:

> I think my problem happens because what our vendor does is #include
> <rw/numbrw.cc> inside of rw/numbrw

Yes, I see that too with the compiler version I'm looking at.

> Thus, you get deps like this:
>
> rw/numbrw: rw/numbrw.cc
> rw/numbrwcc:

My apologies for being lazy.  These were in fact absolute like this:

/opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw: /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw.cc
/opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrwcc:

My point was to note that numbrw depends on numbrw.cc, and that
numbrw.cc was modified _later_ than numbrw.

I had retrieved the latest version (2006-07-09.11) of depcomp from cvs
to add to our 1.9.6 automake, which included the hp2 case containing
'+Maked'.

But I don't see that; and that difference is the crux of the problem.
For me, the source file
  #include <locale>
  int main() { return 0; }

causes absolute file name like
  /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw:
  /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw.cc:

You don't see /opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw depending on
/opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw.cc ?

in .deps/foo.Po, not relative ones like you report.  Please output the
exact compile command that is used for this object.  Mine looks like:

source='../foo.cc' object='foo.o' libtool=no \
DEPDIR=.deps depmode=hp2 /usr/bin/posix/sh ../depcomp \
aCC -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"a\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"a\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1\"
-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"a\ 1\" -DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"b\" -DPACKAGE=\"a\"
-DVERSION=\"1\" -I. -I..     -g -c -o foo.o ../foo.cc

(this is with CVS Automake as of some weeks ago; which versions of
Autoconf and Automake do you use BTW?  hp2 was not in 1.9.6 yet, and
+Maked was not used there anywhere, please also print the scriptversion
of depcomp).

Please also show the output of your command that corresponds to above,
with -x added after the shell in use (/usr/bin/posix/sh in the case
above, but please use whatever configure chose for you).

I will send you these things when I have access to hpux ia64 a little later.

However, I don't yet think these are automake 'bugs' but issues with
system deps and gnu make using the results of +Maked.

I think this, because when I use "gmake -r" the problem goes away:

      -r   Eliminate  use of the built-in implicit rules.  Also clear out the
           default list of suffixes for suffix rules.

--
ASCII ribbon campaign:
()  against HTML email