Re: Generic mechanism for dependencies of CPP processed files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Generic mechanism for dependencies of CPP processed files
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 14:58:25 +0200

Hello Thomas,

* Thomas Schwinge wrote on Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 05:08:48PM CEST:

> As far as I know there is currently no generic mechanism in Automake to
> universally support dependency tracking of files that are processed using
> the gcc preprocessor.  Have people already made thoughts about such a
> mechanism or how is the above scenario commonly handled?

There have been various attempts at allowing to extend Automake more
freely.  I can't remember any proposed patch that didn't need a lot
of work (documentation, regression tests, and/or just portability
fixes), and I also can't remember if any dealt with generic dependency
tracking support.  But that doesn't mean they don't exist, just that
neither you nor me have searched the mail archives yet.  ;-)

Since you seem to already have a suitable non-Automake mechanism in
place, would you be willing to point us to it?  Does it clash with
Automake in any way (note that you can override many rules and variables
that Automake otherwise controls)?