Re: Circular dependency

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: Circular dependency
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:56:20 +0100

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 05:10:46PM +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Guillaume Rousse wrote on Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 04:46:50PM CET:
> >> However, make keep complaining about a circular dependency issue:
> >> make[1]: Circular corelib/camlimages.ml <- Makefile dependency dropped.
> >>
> >> I guess it's because generated makefile has itself a rule triggering
> >> configure again, but I can't find where it's related to
> >> corelib/camlimages.ml, neither how to break the loop.
> >
> > You're providing too little information for me to be able to deduce the
> > loop.  Can you post the whole Makefile.am (and whatever changes you made
> > to Automake, if any)?
> Here it is. I did no special modification tu automake.

The circular dependency is this:

Makefile <-- Makefile.in <-- .depend <-- corelib/camlimages.ml <--
<--  Makefile

Comments:
* Makefile.in <-- .depend
This is because automake creates Makefile.in from Makefile.am and all
included files.  Your Makefile.am includes .depend.

* .depend <-- corelib/camlimages.ml  via the $(OCAMLSOURCES)

You specified the dependency:

   corelib/camlimages.ml <-- Makefile

This is not correct.  You should specify the ultimate primary sources
instead of `Makefile'.  Prehaps `Makefile.am' is enough?

I hope this hint helps you to find a fix.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal