Recommended practise for installing files with specific owners/groups

From: Ton Voon
Subject: Recommended practise for installing files with specific owners/groups
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:51:37 +0000

Hi!

I work on the Nagios Plugins project and would like to install our executables with a specific user and/or group. Looking through the autoconf and automake manuals, I cannot see any recommended information on the best way to achieve this. We used to be able to do this with AM_INSTALL_PROGRAM_FLAGS = -o $user -g $group, but this is not documented and doesn't appear to work anymore (I think since we included libtool in our build suite).

What is current best practise? As some shell commands within install- exec-hook?

I'd be happy to contribute some documentation to add to your online manuals when this is answered.

Regards,
Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243