Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Automake violations of the gnu coding conventions
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 01:31:44 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, K. Richard Pixley wrote:
I'm on Ubuntu, not dos. It's source code control, (perforce, cvs, subversion), that has a different idea of how time stamps should be handled than automake does. It tends to think that the last mod time of a file should be the time the file was last checked out. And on a unix system, that makes perfect sense and is completely fitting the the semantic of the last mod stamp of the file system.

Mostly my bad experience has been with CVS. Everyone will tell you that the solution is to never check any generated file into the version control system. This requires some enforcement of tool versions among developers and all developers must have the tools if they modify any build related files.

I would go stark raving made if automake did not automatically update the files in the source directory since I never build anything in the source directory. But I do use the maintainer-mode macro so that users of my package experience minimal grief.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn