Re: .o naming seems strange

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: .o naming seems strange
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:46:00 +0200

Hello Jan,

* Jan Engelhardt wrote on Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 09:11:41PM CEST:

> I observe that automake gives programs inconsistent .o names. For
> example:

Object file names are an internal detail of Automake.  Imagine they
depend upon the phase of the moon, that helps when writing Makefile.am
files.

> I either expected all .o files to have the program prefix, or none at all.
> Hints, as to why this happens? And/or why is mount.o compiled twice -

Currently, per-target flags cause names to be mangled, as may ansi2knr
and as may the Automake option subdir-objects, as may
<target>_SHORTNAME.  If mount.c is listed twice, say one with a
per-target flag of `<target>_CPPFLAGS = -DFOO', then of course that
should yield two different objects.

If someone comes up with an improvement to Automake which will require
more mangling, then that will happen, too.

Hope that helps.