Re: Strictness

From: Daniel Leidert
Subject: Re: Strictness
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:10:17 +0200

Am Samstag, den 11.08.2007, 17:33 +0100 schrieb Noah Slater:
> > The reason for this is:
> > ChangeLog: often mostly a duplicate of svn/cvs logs, seldom really used
>
> I agree about ChangeLog - there is no reason to be using this any more.

There is. Changelogs are useful to follow the changes in a source. If
you do not put this into VCS, developers have to run VCS diff and (r)log
commands to know, what has been changed. I'm a big fan of file
changelogs. Creating/updating it first is not very comfortable for
developers. I further think, that many projects use the changelog entry
as commit message, which is IMO different to the OPs opinion, that
changelogs are the duplicate of the svn/cvs logs. The commit message is
more a duplicate of the changelog entry.

Of course, just my humble opinion.

Regards, Daniel