Re: ifdef ... endif issue

From: Benoit SIGOURE
Subject: Re: ifdef ... endif issue
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 01:28:25 +0200

On Aug 26, 2007, at 12:04 AM, Daniel Leidert wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

I wanted to use this code in one of my Makefiles:

ifdef WIN32_EXTRA_LDFLAGS
WIN32_EXTRA_LDFLAGS += -export-symbols $(srcdir)/entities.def
endif

But that doesn't work. automake complains:

src/plugin_entities/Makefile.am:22: WIN32_EXTRA_LDFLAGS must be set with
`=' before using `+='
src/plugin_entities/Makefile.am:23: endif without if

1. Shouldn't automake stop complaining about setting WIN32_EXTRA_LDFLAGS
first, when I test for its existence?

2. Why is automake complaining about the endif "without" if? The
ifdef...endif condition is part of make and I know several Makefiles,
that use it. Is it a bug in automake?

I don't think you can do what you're trying to achieve. AFAIK the if .. endif syntax used by automake is for conditionals only (see: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/ Conditionals.html) and there is nothing such as "ifdef".

Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
EPITA Research and Development Laboratory