User defined variable to configure library headers location.

From: Chetan Raj
Subject: User defined variable to configure library headers location.
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:18:28 +0900

Hi All,

I am new to Automake tools. I am going to ask a very common use scenario.
Please point me to relevant articles if it is already discussed.

Problem:

I have a definition of a variable like this in the source Makefile.am file:

SD_BASE_DIR = $(srcdir)/../../../../..

Obviously "SD_BASE_DIR" definition works only in my developing environment
setup.

I want to override this variable at ./configure time. Example:
../configure SD_BASE_DIR ="/home/chetan/SD"

When I provide my source to some other developer, he just has to re-define
SD_BASE_DIR variable to point to his source base directory location. I am
not finding out how to do it. It is a very common scenario, so I am sure
there must be a way out.. but it is not obvious to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-- Chetan Raj