using install.sh selectively

From: Kamaljit Singh
Subject: using install.sh selectively
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:25:48 -0800 (PST)

I am using automake 1.9.

I am trying to use "make install-strip" and that tries to strip all _PROGRAMS.
But I dont want all the PROGRAMS that I build should be stripped. Is there some
out of the box way to do that ? I tried setting installPROGRAMS_INSTALL to
$(INSTALL_DATA) but then automake errors out.

I have a workaround (which I dont like) that I call all such programs as
noinst_PROGRAMS and then put them in install_HEADERS. That seems to
work but ...

All I want is to have a granular control of "install.sh -s" or maybe some other
way ?

kamaljit