Re: Files to keep in a control versioning system

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Files to keep in a control versioning system
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:59:00 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
I've been keeping the files kept by make maintainer-clean but that
keeps the configure script, for example, which is machine dependent (I
think) , so I guess I need something stricter?

No, configure is not machine-dependent.

Configure is not machine-dependent but some developers may claim it to be so if not all developers on a project are using the same autotools versions. This can result in large configure script patches being submitted to the versioning system based on otherwise tiny changes. Due to this, many projects do not check the configure script into their versioning system. The Makefile.in files have a similar issue.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn