Re: using install.sh selectively

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: using install.sh selectively
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 20:50:23 +0100

Hello Kamaljit,

Please, don't top-post, don't send HTML posts, and tell your mail
program to properly quote on replies.  Thank you.

* Kamaljit Singh wrote on Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 01:08:35AM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote: Hello Kamaljit,
> > * Kamaljit Singh wrote on Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 12:25:48AM CET:
> > >
> > > I am trying to use "make install-strip" and that tries to strip all
> > > _PROGRAMS.  But I dont want all the PROGRAMS that I build should be
> > > stripped. Is there some out of the box way to do that ?
> >
> > Not without messing with Automake internals.  So expect the following to
> > break with a new Automake release, but with 1.10 it prevents stripping
> > of bar but not foo:
> >
> >   bin_PROGRAMS = foo
> >   nostripbindir = $(bindir)
> >   nostripbin_PROGRAMS = bar
> >   nostripbinPROGRAMS_INSTALL = @INSTALL_PROGRAM@
>
> Finally, I got around to trying it. Automake complains
> that I am overriding   nostripbinPROGRAMS_INSTALL
> and fails.
>
> Anyway to work around that ?

I cannot reproduce your failure.  Here's the example I used:

cat >configure.ac <<'EOF'
AC_INIT(a,1,b)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(foreign)
AC_PROG_CC
AC_CONFIG_FILES(Makefile)
AC_OUTPUT
EOF
cat >Makefile.am <<'EOF'
bin_PROGRAMS = foo
nostripbindir = $(bindir)
nostripbin_PROGRAMS = bar
nostripbinPROGRAMS_INSTALL = @INSTALL_PROGRAM@
EOF
echo 'int main () { return 0; }' > foo.c
cp foo.c bar.c
autoreconf -vi
./configure
make -n install-strip

Quoting part of the output:
|  /bin/sh /tmp/t/install-sh -c -s 'foo' '/tmp/t/usr/local/bin/foo'
|  /usr/bin/install -c 'bar' '/tmp/t/usr/local/bin/bar'

So if you experience a failure with Automake 1.10, please show me the
error, and how to reproduce it (preferably with a small example case).

> This seems more like a workaround. Do you think
> "nostrip" as a prefix is something automake would support
> "natively" in the future ?

Maybe.  Chances are higher if somebody writes a patch.  ;-)