Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does

From: Stefan Bienert
Subject: Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:42:14 +0200

Hi automakers,

probably this is an oftne asked and therefore annoying question ... but is there a simple way to get automake to produce a similar output as the Linux kernel makefiles? Instead of this verbose confusing output like automake makefiles, the kernels make produces something like
[ compile object1 ]
[ compile object2 ]
[ building module ]

and so on.
For me it would be nice to have something like a switch in the configure script to enable/ disbale verbose/ minimalistic information. E.g. first try with min. info, run into an error, therefore rerun with extensive info, search for the min. statemnt on which the error occured and voila!
Like this:
./configure --disable-verbose
make
[ compile object1 ]
[ compile object2 ]
error on building object 2!

./configure
make | grep
[ compile object1 ]
if gcc ... and so on
[ compile object2 ]
if gcc ... and so on
error...

I hope somebody can understand what I want to do.

greetings,

Stefan

--
Stefan Bienert