Re: Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Report to stdout like Linux kernel compilation does
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:13:18 -0600

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> For Emacs, all I know was that M-x compile did all that I ever needed.
> But I'm sure it can be extended for unusual "compiler" output as well.

For emacs use M-x compile to build.  The default compile command is
"make" but may be modified as desired.  To walk through every warning
and error use C-x ` (bound to next-error).  To restart and rescan at
the beginning give the emacs universial argument "C-u" before it.  In
the compile buffer, to go immediately to a specified warning or error
location use <RET> on the line.

> I can't speak for others, but have heard that the popular ones have this
> feature as well.

Me too.  Additionally I find it hard to believe that popular ones
would have gained popularity without such a feature! :-)

Bob