Re: Compilation order

From: Alberto Luaces
Subject: Re: Compilation order
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 17:22:04 +0200

El Lunes 29 Septiembre 2008ES 21:48:43 Paul Smith escribió:
> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 21:41 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > When run in parallel (-jN) mode, make doesn't guarantee any order of
> > rule execution except that implied by the dependency relations.
>
> To be really, really pedantic: even in parallel mode, make (currently)
> always relies on the order in which prerequisites are listed for a given
> target.  However, since make is running them in parallel you can't
> really tell which items might end up running together: it depends on how
> the OS schedules the jobs and how long they take to complete, as well as
> how large your N for -jN is.

Hi Ralf, Paul

I thought so, but I only knew it could be from experience. In this case, I
have to rely on the order of the prerequisites since there is no dependency
tracking implemented for Fortran. As you stated, that builds fine when
compiling file by file, but sometimes breaks when I use "make -j 2". Since
this is yet a personal project, it is usually enough to run "make -j 2" twice
on the most unlucky situation to get the compilation done. In the future I
want to make a solid building system, so I think I'll have to use or write a
small filter that writes the dependencies between Fortran files "a la
gcc -MM" and then paste the result into the Makefile.am.

Regards,

Alberto

P.S.: Ralf, thank you for pointing me the unnecessary use of $(srcdir) in the
source list, I'm an autotools newbie and didn't realize that directory is
considered by default.