Re: pre- and post-compilation hooks

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: pre- and post-compilation hooks
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:57:33 +0100

Hello Ralf,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 07:54:34PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > However, I would really like to avoid duplicating every source file in
> > maude_SOURCES and EXTRA_maude_SOURCES (the necessity to write a custom
> > make clean and duplicated TAGS entries being other minor points).
>
> You can write
>   maude_SOURCES = $(EXTRA_maude_SOURCES:.cpp=.processed.cpp)

Yes, this works, too.

> I suppose to fix TAGS you may need to rename EXTRA_maude_SOURCES to a
> macro name not specially recognized by automake.

This does eliminate duplicates, but references .processed.cpp in TAGS.
Ideas?

I guess swapping maude_SOURCES and maude_src isn't going to help since
it seems I have to have the dummy .processed.cpp files in maude_SOURCES
for the pre-processing rule to get invoked.

> > > What a brain-damaged design.  Can you give it options to write to a
> > > different file?  Does it at least update the file atomically?
> >
> > I'm aware of the limitations of this approach. Do you see an alternative
> > for the described use case?
>
> Complain to the vendor?

I am the vendor, in a sense :) -- the code originates from a previous
employee. I have no problems to modify the process as long as the users
get roughly the same functionality.

With kind regards,
--
Baurzhan Ismagulov