Re: pre- and post-compilation hooks

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: pre- and post-compilation hooks
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 22:05:28 +0100

* Baurzhan Ismagulov wrote on Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:57:33PM CET:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 07:54:34PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> > I suppose to fix TAGS you may need to rename EXTRA_maude_SOURCES to a
> > macro name not specially recognized by automake.
>
> This does eliminate duplicates, but references .processed.cpp in TAGS.
> Ideas?

Not good ones.  You could overwrite $(SOURCES), but that may have other
consequences, too.

> > > I'm aware of the limitations of this approach. Do you see an alternative
> > > for the described use case?
> >
> > Complain to the vendor?
>
> I am the vendor, in a sense :) -- the code originates from a previous
> employee. I have no problems to modify the process as long as the users
> get roughly the same functionality.

Well, allow the preprocessor to write its output into a different file.
Even cooler, allow it to read on stdin and output on stdout, unix style.
But anyway let it accept '-o outfile' as argument, and either '-f infile'
(it's ok to let the non-option arguments be input files, too), possibly
with '-' specifying stdin.  At least -o solves the problems with
corrupted sources due to interrupted builds.