Re: lzip support

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: lzip support
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:06:51 +0100

Jan Engelhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Friday 2008-11-28 17:21, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> Since LZIP support has appeared apparently out of the blue (no
>> prior discussion on this list), and Automake already had LZMA
>> support, can someone please explain LZIP vs LZMA and why we now
>> have at least two LZMA compressed targets?
>
> See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lzip-bug/2008-11/msg00003.html ,
> I think this should answer it.

But nothing I saw there mentioned the upcoming (and superior)
xz format/tool (aka lzma-utils' unstable branch).  That is what's on
the current head of the "master" branch of the lzma-utils git tree.

    git://ctrl.tukaani.org/lzma-utils.git

xz is the name of the new tool as well as the corresponding suffix.
Lasse Collin says there may well be a beta release this year.

I have been following lzma-utils development closely for some time,
and my impression is that xz obviates lzip.  I would not want to
encourage use of lzip without a convincing argument to the contrary.

As soon as there's a beta xz release (i.e., stable format),
I'll be switching from .lzma to .xz suffixes for all tarballs I create.