Re: lzip support

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: lzip support
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:46:13 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

On Friday 2008-11-28 21:37, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

It makes sense to me that periodically Automake maintainers make an
evaluation (and with the blessing of the FSF) intentionally
deprecate generation of certain archive types as new archive types
are added. The intention would be to diminish the number of archive
types, which needlessly clog disk space and consume developer time.

I don't understand.  The default is to create gzip'ed archives only.
That hasn't changed in more than a decade.  And gzip isn't going to go

Right. However, a profusion of formats creates confusion for users and burdens archive sites because package authors/maintainers naturally feel that they should enable and upload all of the supported formats. Automake is in a unique position to influence the commonly used formats.

It is not helpful to the world to have the same stuff packaged up in five different archive formats. In fact, it is quite wasteful.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn