Re: incremental make install

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: incremental make install
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:22:29 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Warren Young wrote:

rsync doesn't use timestamps. It looks at the entire file contents for both source and target, and performs some pretty hefty computation on them. Thus, it only gives a speedup when copying files over a slow link between two machines. It's great over the Internet, not so great over a fast LAN, and useless within a single machine.

I have used rsync extensively for years, and sometimes in rather exotic ways. It does have a mode where timestamps are used.

I find your conclusions to be baseless. Usually when rsync is blamed to be slow, it is because it is used over SSH, which is slow.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn