Re: problem --enable-shared and --enable-static together

From: Andreas Otto
Subject: Re: problem --enable-shared and --enable-static together
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 10:32:16 +0100

Am Samstag 05 Dezember 2009 13:33:06 schrieb Ralf Wildenhues:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> besides answers already given:
>
> * Andreas Otto wrote on Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 09:41:16AM CET:
> > as you see both *lo and *.o are created. the *.o are useless and just
> > extend the compiling time
> >
> > Q: what can I do to avoid build static libraries ...
>
> foo_LIBTOOLFLAGS = -tag=disable-static
>
> for a target 'foo'.
>
> > I use "../libmsgque/*.lo" for in-project libraray dependency to avoid to
> > link to my own shared libraray
>
> Sounds like you could profit from using convenience archives.

from the info page:

8.3.5 Libtool Convenience Libraries
-----------------------------------

Sometimes you want to build libtool libraries that should not be
installed.  These are called "libtool convenience libraries" and are
typically used to encapsulate many sublibraries, later gathered into
one big installed library.

-> the problem is "not be installed"

the base library from my project is "libmsgque" and this library is
used for the following purpose:

1. installed as library
2. used as base library for a language-extension library
3. used as base library for some test-tools.

for 2+3 I don't want to link again the shared libraray of "libmsgque"