Re: using autoconf with ppuxlc++,spuxlc++

From: John Wohlbier
Subject: Re: using autoconf with ppuxlc++,spuxlc++
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:08:47 -0600

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> * Eric Blake wrote on Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 01:18:59AM CEST:
> > On 10/26/2010 04:31 PM, John Wohlbier wrote:
> > >We're trying to use autoconf in a hybrid environment that includes the
> > >CellBE. I have a configure.ac for the CellBE PPE core and one for the
> SPE
> > >core. I also have some macros for setting up the compilers and their
> flags
> > >since it appears that AC_PROG_CC and AC_PROG_CXX do not support these
> > >compilers. I have what I feel are valid compiler flags for, in this
> case,
> > >ppuxlc++. However, I think I have a problem with the interaction of
> > >autoconf/libtool and cannot get my sources to compile. Below is what I
> see
> > >on output.
> > >
> > >To try and narrow down on the error "ppuxlc++: 1501-208 (S) command
> option D
> > >is missing a subargument" I went through by hand and removed all of the
> -D
> > >arguments, and it still failed. Finally, I removed the -MD argument and
> it
> > >"compiles." Unfortunately I don't know enough about autoconf/libtool to
> know
> > >what the -MD -MP -MF arguments are or where they come from. Can anyone
> > >provide any hints or suggestions on how to figure out what is going on?
>
> How exactly do you invoke configure, what does configure output as
> dependency mechanism for these two compilers, where are the manpages
> for the compilers?
>
> Thanks,
> Ralf

Ralf, thanks for the help.
1) I'm not exactly sure what you're asking about invoking configure. We have
3 configure.acs, and the first one uses AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS to run the
configures for the PPE and SPE. Those configures are done as cross compiles
using configure.gnu. I can give you more detail about this if it's needed.

3) I've attached the output of ppuxlc++ >& manpage. Let me know if you need
anything else from this.

2) I think you've found the thread to pull on. I see this:

checking dependency style of ppuxlc... (cached) gcc3

The fact that it's cached makes me nervous, b/c if I scan up the output I
find the dependency style listed a couple times.

checking dependency style of g++... gcc3

It seems like it's possible that the "boiler plate" kind of checks
(including dependency style) are being made with gcc/g++ before I'm able to
change to the cross compiler and it's using the previously cached value.
Either that, or depcomp really does think ppuxlc++ has gcc3 dependency
style. Here's a few lines from my configure.ac where CCS_WITH_PPU_COMPILER,
CCS_TUNE_PCC, CCS_TUNE_PCXX are macros that set CC and CXX to be ppuxlc and
ppuxlc++ respectively (I didn't originally write those macros, but I think
they were written since AC_PROG_CC and AC_PROG_CXX don't support these
compilers). With this ordering, should those "boiler plate" checks be
performed with the ppuxlc(++)? Is there a way I can specifically call
"checking dependency style"?

AC_INIT
AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR(config)
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE