Re: files left in build directory after distclean

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: files left in build directory after distclean
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 16:03:21 +0200

On 05/22/2012 06:10 PM, Adam Mercer wrote:
> Hi
>
> For one of my projects I'm running into an error where distcheck fails
> with the error:
>
> ERROR: files left in build directory after distclean:
> ./lalapps/src/lalapps/git_version.py
> ./lalapps/src/lalapps/git_version.sed
>
> Why are these files remaining and how should I ensure they are removed
> correctly after distclean?
>
> The appropriate sections of
>
> bin_PROGRAMS = \
>       lalapps_version
>
> lalapps_version_SOURCES = \
>       version.c \
>       lalapps.h \
>       LALAppsVCSInfo.h
>
> pkgpython_PYTHON = \
>       __init__.py \
>       git_version.py
>
> EXTRA_DIST = \
>       __init__.py \
>       LALAppsVCSInfo.h.in \
>       generate_vcs_info.py\
>       git_version.py.in
>
> BUILT_SOURCES = \
>       LALAppsVCSInfo.h \
>       git_version.py \
>       git_version.sed

It is proper and correct that "make distcheck" fails loudly: you have a botched
setup, and 'distcheck' is doing its work in catching and reporting it.

Is 'git_version.sed' intended to be distributed?  If yes, you must place it in
EXTRA_DIST (and you have an usage error in that you've not done so).

On the other hand, if 'git_version.sed' is *not* intended to be distributed, you
have an even more serious usage error, both in that 'git_version.sed' is not
cleaned by "make clean" (all the undistributed generated files should be), and
in that the distributed files 'LALAppsVCSInfo.h' and 'git_version.py' depend on
an undistributed file ('git_version.sed' in this case).

> LALAppsVCSInfo.h: LALAppsVCSInfo.h.in git_version.sed
>       $(AM_V_GEN)sed -f git_version.sed $(srcdir)/LALAppsVCSInfo.h.in
> >LALAppsVCSInfo.h
>
> git_version.py: git_version.py.in git_version.sed
>       $(AM_V_GEN)sed -f git_version.sed $(srcdir)/git_version.py.in >
> git_version.py
>
> git_version.sed: $(srcdir)/generate_vcs_info.py
>       @$(PYTHON) $(srcdir)/generate_vcs_info.py LALApps $(srcdir) $$PWD
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

HTH,