Re: [RFC] Moving ltmain.sh and libtool.m4 into Automake

From: Diab Jerius
Subject: Re: [RFC] Moving ltmain.sh and libtool.m4 into Automake
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:36:59 -0400

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 16:41 +0700, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> Another consideration is that rolling Libtool into Automake would make
> using Libtool as a standalone script rather more difficult.  Having
> said that, my impression is that Libtool is rarely used that way in
> any case, and further simplification may be possible by deliberately
> dropping explicit support for that use case.

I use standalone libtool to build packages which have either no or
rather primitive facilities for multi-platform generation of dynamic
libraries.  As far as I know there are no comparable alternatives.

There's a lot of valuable code out there, legacy or not, whose build
systems are not capable of handling library generation on multiple
platforms.  Libtool fills a very important niche by making it possible
to make that code painlessly useable on multiple platforms.

I strongly recommend retaining a standalone libtool.

Diab