Newbie question: Changelog not found

From: Arthur Schwarz
Subject: Newbie question: Changelog not found
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 16:17:51 -0700

Win 7
Cygwin
automake-1.14

I ran automake --add-missing then autoreconf and automake failed to find
Changelog.

        Makefile.am: error: required file './ChangeLog' not found
        autoreconf-2.69: automake failed with exit status: 1

Changelog (AUTHORS, NEWS ..) all exist in the directory that autoreconf is
run in. What directory is Makefile looking for?

What am I missing? Where should the GNU required files be located?