Re: How to start serial tests

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: How to start serial tests
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:14:33 -0400

On 2015-03-27 12:57 -0700, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
> I'm struggling with learning how automake tests run and linking into the
> automake generated test harness(es). I just tried to generate the serial
> test harness and came across this little oddity:
>
> Manual: GNU Automake v1.14.1, 6 Nov 2013
>
> Chp. 15.2.2 Older (and discouraged) serial test harness (pg 112)
>
>       "The serial test harness is enabled by the Automake option
> serial-tests."
>
> Neither: automake --serial-tests
>     nor  automake serial-tests
>     work.

Automake options can be set in Makefile.am, e.g.,

  AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = serial-tests

It's also possible to set them as arguments to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
in configure.ac.

I suppose the manual would benefit from a cross-reference there
because these options are documented[1] in a later chapter...

[1] https://gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Options

Hope that helps,
--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)