Re: error: installing './INSTALL'; error while making link: File exists

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: error: installing './INSTALL'; error while making link: File exists
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 17:31:07 -0700

I don't know what you're trying to make, but you could
try cleaning the directory to remove stale symlinks first...
or unpacking the source tarball into a clean directory
and building there.

Here's the code you're probably hitting, fwiw:

```
          # Install the missing file.  Symlink if we
          # can, copy if we must.  Note: delete the file
          # first, in case it is a dangling symlink.
          $message = "installing '$fullfile'";
          # Windows Perl will hang if we try to delete a
          # file that doesn't exist.
          unlink ($fullfile) if -f $fullfile;
          if ($symlink_exists && ! $copy_missing)
            {
              if (! symlink ("$libdir/$file", $fullfile)
                  || ! -e $fullfile)
                {
                  $suppress = 0;
                  $trailer = "; error while making link: $!";
                }
            }
          elsif (system ('cp', "$libdir/$file", $fullfile))
            {
              $suppress = 0;
              $trailer = "\n    error while copying";
            }