Re: Automake for RISC-V

From: Billa Surendra
Subject: Re: Automake for RISC-V
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 17:26:30 +0530

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 12:09 PM Daniel Herring <dherring@tentpost.com>
wrote:

> Hi Billa,
>
> It sounds like you are trying to build from a source repo instead of a
> release tarball.
>
> Building with automake or autoconf is a multi-step process.  Run automake
> on a ".am" file to generate a makefile.  Run make on the makefile to build
> the executable.
>
> Automake has a special "make dist" rule.  The dist rule uses automake on a
> host computer to produce a tarball.  This dist tarball requires make and a
> compiler, but it does not require automake.

With your suggestion, I have successfully installed automake-1.16.2 in
riscv target image.
finally, I have installed autoconf-2.69 and automake-1.16.2 in the target
image. Next, I am trying to install texinfo-6.7 on the target image but
it's giving me error

Error message:

checking Perl configuration value archlibexp...
/usr/lib/perl5/5.34.0/riscv64-linux
checking Perl configuration value privlibexp... /usr/lib/perl5/5.34.0
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating gnulib/lib/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
config.status: executing po-directories commands
config.status: executing libtool commands
checking whether we can build Perl extension (XS) modules...
 cd . && /usr/bin/bash /home/texinfo-6.7/tp/Texinfo/XS/missing
automake-1.16 --foreign

*configure.ac:14 <http://configure.ac:14>: error: version mismatch.  This
is Automake 1.16.2,configure.ac:14 <http://configure.ac:14>: but the
definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKEconfigure.ac:14
<http://configure.ac:14>: comes from Automake 1.16.1.  You should
recreateconfigure.ac:14 <http://configure.ac:14>: aclocal.m4 with aclocal
and run automake again.WARNING: 'automake-1.16' is probably too old.
 You should only need it if you modified 'Makefile.am' or
 'configure.ac <http://configure.ac>' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac
<http://configure.ac>'.         The 'automake' program is part of the GNU
Automake package:         <https://www.gnu.org/software/automake
<https://www.gnu.org/software/automake>>         It also requires GNU
Autoconf, GNU m4 and Perl in order to run:
 <https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf
<https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf>>
 <https://www.gnu.org/software/m4/ <https://www.gnu.org/software/m4/>>
   <https://www.perl.org/ <https://www.perl.org/>>make: *** [Makefile:979:
Makefile.in] Error 1no fallback module for TestXSunset the TEXINFO_XS and
TEXINFO_XS_PARSER environment variables to use the pure Perl modulesBEGIN
failed--compilation aborted at ../../Texinfo/XS/TestXS.pm line
31.Compilation failed in require at -e line 1.*
checking whether we can build Perl extension (XS) modules... no
checking for prove... prove
checking parser tests requirements... no
checking Perl Texinfo API texinfo documentation build requirements... yes

I have tried installing automake-1.16.1 version with your approach but
could not able to install it on target. Please suggest to me what I can do.

Thanks
Billa