[avrdude-dev] New -U option for AVRDUDE

From: Brian Dean
Subject: [avrdude-dev] New -U option for AVRDUDE
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 01:11:31 -0400

Hi,

I've added a new -U option for performing memory operations.  It's
argument is a string composed of 4 fields as follows:

<memtype> is the usual 'flash', 'eeprom', etc.

<op> is:

        r = read specified memory and write it to the file <filename>

        w = read the file <filename> and write it to the specified memory

        v = read the file <filename> and the specified memory and
            perform a verify

<filename> is the filename to read from, write to, or verify from

<format> is the usual:

        i = intel hex

        s = motorola s-record

        r = raw binary

        m = immediate mode (filename treated as input data)

        a = auto detect

Multiple -U options can be specified on the same command line.

Thus, to update the flash, eeprom, high fuse, low fuse, and extended
fuse on an ATmega128, one could do the following:

        avrdude -p m128 -e -U flash:w:diag.hex:i     \
                           -U eeprom:w:eeprom.hex:i  \
                           -U efuse:w:0xfd:m         \
                           -U hfuse:w:0x99:m         \
                           -U lfuse:w:0xe1:m

The backslash is the command line continuation character in Unix.

Operations are performed in the order in which they are encountered on
the command line.  All other options such as -e, etc, are performed
before the first -U sequence.  If verify in in effect, all "write"
operations result in a subsequent verify.  Alternately, once can
disable verify using -V and request a specific verify operation by
using a 'v' operation of -U, i.e.:

        avrdude -p -U flash:v:diag.hex

The old options still work, but I've rewritten how they work actually
work as if the equivalent -U option was specified instead.  This code
is pretty new, so if you get a chance to test it, please let me know
if you find any problems with it.

This seems to be an often-asked-for option.  Hopefully folks find it
useful.

Cheers,
-Brian
--