Re: [avrdude-dev] Fix warnings patch

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Fix warnings patch
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:11:43 GMT

> > Should this slice of wisdom go in the
> > docs?
>
> Maybe, but i think it's too verbose for a man page (which
is supposed
> to be a short reference only).  The texinfo stuff is
currently just
> a reformatted man page only either.
>
> If we are going to reorganize the texinfo docs more into
something
> that would serve as a `user handbook', while keeping the
man page as a
> short summary, then yes, that could be mentioned there,
as well as
> many other things.  Perhaps we should start by simply
adding a FAQ
> there?  Remember all those postings from Brian here where
he explained
> how to use this or that new command-line option?
Remember that the #1
> FAQ is that people don't remember to use -e first? ;-)

I'm all for including more in the docs than just having a
reformat of the man page. And certainly a FAQ would be nice.

I would certainly recommend reconsidering the usage of -e.
It's definitely more common to erase then program, than
programming without erasing. Why require a switch for
common usage?

But I would think that all of these items can be revisited
post 4.2.0.

Eric