[Axiom-developer] RE: CVS access

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: CVS access
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 18:54:35 -0500

Tim,

On Thursday, November 07, 2002 6:01 PM you wrote:

> Check that your shell variable CVS_RSH is set to "ssh".

Yes, I set CVS_RSH to "ssh" as described at

  https://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=axiom

> The problem is likely that you are not using ssh to do the
> connection since the CVS_RSH is not set. If it is not set I
> believe that CVS defaults to using RSH and will ask you to
> log in.

You are right that I get a different error message
if I do not set CVS_RSH to "ssh", however it does
not work when it is set correctly. If I use the
-t trace option on cvs, I can see that it attempts
to use ssh as the following shell output shows

--------

address@hidden ~
$ export CVS_RSH=ssh

address@hidden ~
$ cvs -t address@hidden:/cvsroot/axiom co axiom
cvs checkout: notice: main loop with
address@hidden:/cvsr
oot/axiom
 -> Starting server: ssh subversions.gnu.org -l billpage1 cvs server
address@hidden's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
address@hidden's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
address@hidden's password:
Permission denied.
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above
messages if any)

address@hidden ~
$

-----------------

In fact if I just try to start a secure shell with the
usual command

$ ssh subversions.gnu.org -l billpage1 cvs server

I get the same result.

> You don't need a login and only need to be a
> developer to have write access. I tried checking out
> the code as anonymous and it worked.

Yes as I said in my earlier message it is possible to
checkout the code as anoncvs via the :pserver: protocol.
In this case no rsa1 key and no ssh is required. This
is described on the Savannah web page I referred to
above.

It seems to me that the ssh type of secure access
would only be required by someone who is intending
to check code back into the repository and perhaps
the check out function does not work in the case of
using ssh if the user is not also been authorized to
check code in.

Bill.