[Axiom-developer] document command

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] document command
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:51:50 -0500

How are you at writing bash shell scripts?

The document command currently takes one argument
which is the name of a pamphlet file. If the name
ends in .pamphlet it clips it off.

In the Makefiles I call the document command if
there are changes. The document command calls latex
which generates a tremendous amount of output most
of which I ignore. In order to reduce the noise I
code lines like:
   document Makefile >${TMP}/trace

This has a problem. If the .pamphlet file has a
syntax error then latex will put up a read and hang.
Since the output is being sent to a file nothing
will appear on the console and the whole make
process appears to hang.

A slightly better solution would be to implement an
option on document to specify the output file like:
   document -o ${TMP}/trace Makefile
Then we can make a global variable called NOISE.
By default we set
   NOISE=-o ${TMP}/trace
and write
   document ${NOISE} Makefile

Then if there is a hung make a developer can write
   make NOISE=
and the lines change into
   document Makefile
which will output all of the latex.

I'm not much of a bash programmer.
If you know bash could you take a stab at
rewriting document to take a "-o file" option?
If not, I'll look at it.