[Axiom-developer] Makefile.pamphlet

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Makefile.pamphlet
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 07:03:02 -0500

Bill,

I still have a couple minutes before I leave for work....

To handle the strip problem properly you have to think globally.

1) Find all instances of strip and replace them with ${STRIP}
2) Add STRIP=strip to ALL the platform-specific Makefiles.
3) Add STRIP=${STRIP} to the end of the ENV= line in each
   platform specific Makefile
   (this step is what propagates the variables to all of the
    children. It creates an environment list for the child because
    the shell allows the syntax
       FOO=bar Baz
    to define FOO in the environment for Baz. We use this fact)
4) Clone one of the platform specific Makefiles which seems
   close to your platform.
5) Set all of the FOO= variable appropriately in your
   platform specific Makefile
6) Set the STRIP= variable in your platform specific Makefile
   to be STRIP=echo or some other null function.
7) Document everything you do in the pamphlet files

Gotta go...