[Axiom-developer] Makefile.pamphlet

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Makefile.pamphlet
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 07:18:04 -0500

Bill,

(one foot out the door....)

Oh, yeah. You should be aware that things will start showing
up in the cygwin directory (e.g. obj/cygwin/... and mnt/cygwin/...)
as a side-effect of changing SYS=

This is the intended effect. It has two implications. First,
we can build multiple platforms from the same files and second,
they can be kept in the same filesystems for distribution.

Also, handle /dev/null just like strip. Make DEVNULL=/dev/null
and spread it around everywhere. Better yet, use DEVNULL=${TMP}/null
as ${TMP} is our guaranteed writable filesystem.

Be very careful (i.e. anal) about where you put stuff. Read the
top level description of the directory structure and
understand the meaning of the 4 directories (src, int, obj and
mnt). The long term goal will be to ship a CD with src and int
already expanded and people will be able to create an obj and
mnt on their system and do a complete build. Thus, AFTER THE
FIRST BUILD, src and int are assumed read-only.

(really gotta go)