[Axiom-developer] The state of gcl/maxima/acl2

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] The state of gcl/maxima/acl2
Date: 12 Dec 2002 12:12:06 -0500

Greetings!  I thought this would be a good time for an update here, as
the acl2 work has basically been completed.  All these results pertain
to the current GCL cvs, released as Debian package version -70/rpm
version -71, and currently found for all platforms (with the exception
of Windows, which is slightly older) at

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/cvs.

Debian packages for maxima and acl2 can be found at:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/maxima/

and at

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/acl2/

I encourage those with knowledge pertaining to the ???? fields below
to offer their amendments.  Is there anything else being left out
here?  Specifically, I haven't heard from BSD in quite a while.

When axiom is released, we'll try to add it to this table too.  I'm
hoping that the automated process of producing binary packages on
these different machines as we continue to develop GCL will have the
dual effect of giving us early warning of any bugs we might introduce,
as well as provide incentive for end users to become interested in
Lisp.

The results quoted below pertain to the latest officially released
versions of maxima and ACL2.  The results for maxima CVS are extremely
likely to be identical, based own my own tests on x86.

Take care,

cpu    OS       BFD    SGC   compile  max5.6 5.6test acl2.7 acl2.7cert   Note:
                    (kernels)

x86    Linux    yes    yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass
ppc    Linux    yes    yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   mostly       (1)
sparc  Linux    yes    yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass
m68k   Linux    yes    yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass*        (2)
arm    Linux    yes     no   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass         (3)
s390   Linux    yes    yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass         (4)

mips   Linux    no     yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass
mipsel Linux    no     yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass

alpha  Linux    no     yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass
ia64   Linux    no     yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass
hppa   Linux    no      no   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass

sparc  solaris  yes    yes   pass     pass   pass    pass   pass         (5)

x86    w32      no     no    pass     pass   ????    pass   ????
x86    xBSD     yes    yes   pass     ????   ????    ????   ????

???    osX      ???     ???  ????     ????   ????    ????   ????

(1) A few of the certifications currently fail because the image size
    is too large for the native 24bit relocations without additional
    trampoline code.  This should be fixed by the -mlongcalls option
    in forthcoming gcc-3.3, for which I think we should wait, unless
    anyone needs all the certs on acl2 ppc immediately.  Completing
    the ACL2 port turned up cache flushing corner case bugs in GCL.

(2) Build will complete in a few days -- result anticipated :-).
    Seriously, previous build succeeded in all steps before being
    killed by the autobuilder for taking too long to generate output.
    Completing the ACL2 port turned up cache flushing corner case bugs
    in GCL, and one SGC related bug.

(3) Provides an example of how the -mlong-calls enables big images
    like ACL2 on 24bit reloc machines like this.

(4) SGC recently enabled by s390 Linux kernel updates -- thanks
    Gerhard!

(5) Maxima verified by me, acl2 shipped and certified by acl2
    upstream.