[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom web pages

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom web pages
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:35:06 -0400

Don,

Yes, it's true that there is no code at the savannah website.
Currently the pre-release version of the code exists in a private
CVS only accessed by developers. About 80% of the algebra compiles
and runs. At the present time I'm working on finding and fixing
compiler bugs that prevent the remaining algebra from compiling.
Progress is slow, mostly because I have to build up the facilities
to do debugging and due to the complexity of the compiler, but progress
is being made. Let me know if you need anything else.

An executive summary:

Axiom is a general purpose computer algebra system. Axiom is a
strongly-typed, theory-based system that uses modern algebra structure
as it's model for development. It handles a wide range of mathematics,
supports a wide range of data structures, has excellent graphics,
links for numeric libraries and a programming language. The algebra
knowledge of the system is expressed in it's own language which can be
easily extended by the user. The algebra language leads to concise,
efficient, correct algorithms. Axiom was originally developed at IBM
Research over a 23 year period. It was later sold to the Numerical
Algorithms Group where it became a commercial product.  In October,
2001 Axiom was withdrawn from the market. In September, 2002 it was
released as open source under the BSD license. Work is in progress to
make it freely available.

 "Don Peterson" <address@hidden>

Tim:

I got your email address from http://savannah.nongnu.org/users/axiom/.

I was interested in learning something about Axiom (I'm downloading
different free computer algebra systems and trying to learn something
about them), so I went to the web page
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/axiom/.  However, clicking on the
Filelist link produces an essentially empty page, as does clicking on
the link to access the download area directly.

It would be great if there was an "executive summary" type document
about Axiom that described it, its benefits, and usage model.  I'd
be happy to write a rough draft to such a document if I could get my
hands on the system/code.

Don Peterson
address@hidden