[Axiom-developer] First (quick & dirty) port of Axiom to gcl-2.5.2 and

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Axiom-developer] First (quick & dirty) port of Axiom to gcl-2.5.2 and powerpc architecture
Date: 03 May 2003 16:07:32 +0200

Hello,

Thanks to latest Camm Maguire help[1], I've successfully compiled Axiom
on Linux PowerPC. I've been able to do the fantastic '1+1' on my
iBook. :)

Please find below the needed patch[2]. In order to compile the source
with this patch, you must:

1. Grab latest Axiom original sources on CVS:
  cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/home/cvs co axiom

2. apply the below patch:
cd axiom
patch -p1 < axiom-dm4.patch

3. enter new/new/ directory and define needed environment variables
cd new/new/
export OLD_IN_PACKAGE='magic incantation: make Axiom work!!'
export AXIOM=`pwd`/mnt/linux

4. change some hard coded path in some files

4a. in new/new/Makefile and new/new/Makefile.pamphlet:
change
  SPD=/home/david/pub/axiom-libre/axiom-powerpc/new/new
to the corresponding directory in your tree
  SPD=(pathname)/axiom/new/new

4b. in new/new/src/interp/debugsys.lisp.pamphlet:
change all occurences of:
  /home/david/pub/axiom-libre/axiom-powerpc/new/new
to the corresponding directory in your tree
  (pathname)/axiom/new/new

5. type "make" and go outside have a good lunch :)

6. hopefully, you'll have a binary obj/linux/bin/interpsys that is your
   Axiom interpreter. You should be able to compute 1+1.

Note: If the compilation blocks at some point, you may need to kill two
      latex processes. The issue is that latex does not find the
      noweb.sty package:
      http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2003-02/msg00027.html

This first port is quick and dirty. I intend in the following
weeks/months to document my changes and make a much proper port (like
fixing properly the in-package issue).

You'll find on http://www.linux-france.org/~dmentre/code/axiom/ a tar of
the original Axiom code and my patch.

Best regards,