[Axiom-developer] RE: completion of algebra lattice

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: completion of algebra lattice
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:42:04 -0400

Tim,

On Saturday, October 25, 2003 10:58 AM you wrote:

> I re-downloaded the CVS copy and did a build from scratch
> overnight. It appears that the system won't build from CVS at
> the moment. Try building from a clean CVS download and see if
> it works for you. If not I think we need to back out the
> changes until we figure it out.

Ok, I am in the process of trying it again now on a different
machine. I built the whole algebra just fine on my RedHat 8.0
system with gcc 3.2-7, but using Juergen's databases files of
course.

> I was not able to complete the lattice because I ran into
> database problems. The new databases don't seem to be able to
> rebuild the system. It looks like you tripped across the same
> bug.

I did notice that the new database files that I built were
slightly different in size than Juergen's (some a little
bigger and some a little smaller). I wonder how Juergen built
those database files. Right now it seems that they are the
only ones that work ...

> I first found the database problem when I tried to use a
> newly built system complete the algebra. It turned out
> that the newly built system couldn't compile the older code.
> I suspect there has been a change to the database code and
> I'm looking into the problem.

But Juergen somehow managed to do it, right? Because the
ones that we started with (before I added Juergen's database
files to the CVS in September) also did not work. But I
think he claimed to have built the ones that do work using
that system. Or was there some other magic involved?

So I guess I am going to have to learn something about the
database files. As you look into this problem, if you feel
like discussing it, I'm all ears.

Anyway, I will let you know if I can build the new system
on my RedHat 9.0 system. (It's faster, it only takes about
3 hours to complete.) And if it fails like yours then I
will back out the CVS back to Juergen's database files.