Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] Compiling Axiom on FreeBSD

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] Compiling Axiom on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:25:34 -0500

Mark,

There is a variable in the top level Makefile.pamphlet called
TANGLE=
which points to the notangle executable. The weave function is never
called directly as I've already subsumed it under the "document" command.
The notangle command will be subsumed  when I make another major cleanup sweep.

I've moved Axiom's version of noweb's executables out of $AXIOM/bin so
they don't show up on the user's path. Thus a user that has noweb installed
will still get the standard version of noweb rather than Axiom's patched
version. Axiom will use the patched version to build, not the user's version.

I'm not sure how this will help (although it is cleaner) since the standard
noweb has a bug which Axiom patches. The fix was never accepted because
I changed the C code rather than the awk/sed scripts. I don't use either
awk or sed for anything but trivial one-liners so I'm not skilled enough
with these tools to make the change in a way that will be accepted.
(Plus I'm about to change the C code again to fix the tmpname error).

In any case there will eventually be an Axiom "document" command that
knows how to do all of the necessary magic for everything we need done
with literate programs.

I've checked in the changes.