[Axiom-developer] gnu-arch and branches

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] gnu-arch and branches
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 01:03:11 -0500

I'm experimenting with gnu-arch branches and I believe I understand
the process now. There currently is a main line of code called
axiom--release--1 and one branch called axiom--book--1.

The basic idea is that you decide you want to work on some
subproject (say, the book or the graphics). There will be
a branch for that subproject. All changes are made on that
branch. These branch changes will NOT appear in the main
branch.

Anyone can grab and modify any branch, commit the changes
to that branch, and then go work on something else.

Once I get this all worked out I have a dozen or so branches
to create. If you want your own branch I can create one for
you. When a branch is sufficiently mature it will get merged
into the main branch. I'll produce a document describing
the purpose of each branch that I create.

The main branch will (after testing) be copied on the main
axiom website in the savannah CVS system.

The purpose of this exercise is twofold: first to try to figure
out a way that all of us can pursue our own goals for axiom and
second to figure out a peer-to-peer development model rather
than a thin pipe thru me.

David, you have your own website and we should try your
suggestion of "star" merging using the axiom--book--1
branch.

The current axiom--book--1 branch contains the book source
(src/doc/book.pamphlet) in its latest form. This branch is
intended for all book-related changes.

If any of this is unclear to any of you feel free to ask
questions. It took me a long time to work this stuff out
and I still have a few wrinkles to understand.