Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:28:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:
> BF,
>
> I looked at the cliki.net website.
> I see Maxima is listed under the Mathematics link.

An Axiom entry would probably also be appropriate.

> I couldn't find a package for graphics under lisp

Yes, I don't think there is really a good one yet.  McCLIM has some
sort of 2D graphing capabilities under development, but I don't know
much about it - scigraph I think they call it?

> but I found out that there is a tcl/tk toolkit link in GCL.

Eurrrg.  I don't know if that has been tested in a serious way in
years.  I recall some discussion about it a while back on the gcl
archives - Camm, if you're on this list can you give us a status
update?

I don't know if tcl/tk is the best environment for a notebook interface
- it would probably be difficult to port a gcl/tcl/tk GUI to other
lisps.  If only gcl support is important than it might be a way to go.
Otherwise, if a cross-implimentation UI must be developed I'd recommend
McCLIM over tcl/tk - IIRC dealing with the tcl/tk code in xmaxima
wasn't much fun.

> Once I figure out how to handle the sockets issue I'll look
> into the tck/tk link. Thanks for the ref.

Since Maxima is GPL I guess the socket code itself can't be used, but
you might be able to use the technique?

Maybe this would also be of help:

http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/code/io/sockets/0.html

CY