Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:24:16 -0700 (PDT)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Eurrrg.  I don't know if that has been tested in a serious way in
> > years.  I recall some discussion about it a while back on the gcl
> > archives - Camm, if you're on this list can you give us a status
> > update?
>
> There was a serious user of gcl-tk on the gcl list recently.  To my
> knowledge the interface is quite servicable.  There is nothing
> particularly gcl specific about the tk interface code to my
> knowledge.  And TK itself is likely far more portable and widely used
> than McCLIM, even perhaps than lisp in general :-).

True, at least with regards to McCLIM at this point.

> There is also cl-gtk, which works in GCL.
>
> The big issue in my eyes here is that no one likely wants to be a GUI
> expert, so something that is as trouble free as possible has a higher
> premium than something elegant or advanced in terms of UI concepts.

Yes, I suppose that's true.  But elegant and advanced might be useful
when trying to lure in new users.

> So honestly I think the best route for newish projects is to use
> cl-gtk, relying on the enormous user base of gtk, the compiled
> efficiency of the code, and friendly tools like glade for making user
> interfaces graphically.  One can even change the UI with a runtime
> sources xml type file.

That might be a good way to start - has the gtk interface matured
recently?

> Lisp is so great in general that there is an aversion to doing things
> outside it, but I think this can just slow things down after a point.

Short term, probably.  Long term...  well, in long term we can just
impliment the features of whatever other interfaces have been written
using lisp, once the supporting libraries are ready :-P.

CY