Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAc

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: literate programming pamphlet files for MathAction
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:40:49 -0400

Martin writes:

>  > In connection to the extension rule of just adding .tex to the noweb file
>  >
>  >     noweave FILE.nw > FILE.nw.tex
>  >
>  > this works quite nicely for me.
>  >
>  > But maybe this inverse-search facility is not necessary if pamphlet
>  > files are edited via MathAction or LaTeXWiki. (Unfortunately, I have no
>  > experiences with the latter.)
>
> I suspect that small changes (like typos) will be done via MathAction
> directly. Bigger changes will be done locally, and I will certainly use your
> srcltx modification! Thanks!

I hope that, in the longer term, the mathaction wiki page presents the
original pamphlet file when you click 'edit'. That would imply running
noweb in the background when you click 'save'. The hard part, of course,
is that the change might actually fail, in which case there will be a
noweb msg or latex log file.

If we could do this then it would be possible (at least technically)
to maintain axiom directly from the wiki pages. Of course there are
a lot of little steps along the way. I'd like to see the ability to
integrate CVS (or arch?) automatically into web page changes.

Once mathaction can run stand-alone we plan to put it on a live-CD
and use it to 'front-end' a doyen system. Somewhere after that time
it would be interesting to be able to work on a page locally and then
"drag and drop" from your local browser tab (where you write/test) to
the mathaction tab on the host. At which point you could locally
develop a pamphlet for a conference and publish it to the mathaction
website.

That said, I want to complement Bill on this excellent work. I spent
most of yesterday demonstrating the mathaction wiki to various
people at my university. Everyone is impressed. His work really
brings out the smiles as people begin to realize how potentially
useful this will be. In the long term this is going to define the
way computational science is done. Thanks, Bill.