RE: [Axiom-developer] SuchThat

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] SuchThat
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:27:13 -0400

http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/Plone/Members/billpage/MathAction2

> The 'extra' result was in the form of a SuchThat type.
>
> So in the end, this did not (quite) turn out to be the
> numeric computational result that I had expected!

In fact the more I think about it, I wonder why the
author choose to return the 2nd and 3rd eigenvalues
in this problem only implicitly. Was it only for
compactness? In the case of problems of low degree the
roots could easily have been given numerically as shown
in the calculation. Perhaps it was for generality?
There is some new algorithm, isn't there, for finding
roots of polynomials of any degree?