RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom trunk failure

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom trunk failure
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 01:31:27 -0400

Tim,

On Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:59 AM you wrote:
> Bill Page wrote:
> >
> > I *strongly* disagree with this. Even the GCL build itself
> > will stop if it does not find the necessary prerequisits.
> > Satisfying prerequists is not the job of the build software.
> > This is handled by other tools like apt-get and yum.
>
> well, we'll always disagree on this. always.
>
> i have used redhat's rpm, redhat's update, apt-get, and yum.
> and they all break things that used to work and upgrade packages
> that i don't want touched. i have a recently installed FC5
> system that was intended to be used for axiom porting. after a
> yum update it is now non-functional.

You have reported this to the Fedora Core developers?

> now i have to waste time doing a re-install of FC5. I do NOT
> want this to happen to an axiom user, at least not because they
> tried to install axiom.

If you do not trust programs that attempt to automatically
resolve dependencies then why would you want to build this
functionality into the Axiom source distribution?

> it should 'just work', correctly, cleanly, and out of the box.

I think the developers of apt-get and yum might agree with
you. ;) But I think most developers would prefer to take care
of this themselves.

People who want to work with Axiom without these hassles
should install the appropriate binary version.