Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: noweb

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: noweb
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 17:57:23 +0200

In the file '  src/interp/fnewmeta.lisp.pamphlet' the text:

  <<' Name '>>

is not really a reference to a chunk but noweb thinks it is
and the standard (designed in) behavior of noweb when it
finds such an "undefined chunk" is simply to omit it. This
breaks the Axiom code.

Maybe that is a bug, too. In such a case I would rather like to see at least a warning that the code chunk is undefined.

Of course would could define this as a chunk using the noweb
escape sequence @<<

  <<' Name '>>=
  @<<' Name '>>
@
and solve this one case where it is really a problem (or even
use the escape sequence inline).

http://tex.loria.fr/litte/ieee.pdf

But this solution seems rather unnatural.

I agree that the escaping is rather unnatural, but just escape this ONE line in the thousands of lines form AXIOM and the noweb problem is gone.

We could be careful when writing new code/documentation and escape those problematic cases. There are not so many after all.

Ralf