RE: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 23:06:42 -0400

On Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:51 PM C Y
> Francois Maltey wrote:
>
> > Axiomacs.el does the exchanges between emacs and axiom with
> > *.input files.
> >
> > So I can use multi-lines blocs command, as in an *.imput
> > file, and at the end I can save interpreter sessions.
>
> By the latter do you mean something like:
>
> (1) -> integrate(x^2+x^3+x^4+
> x^5+x^6, x)

No, I don't think that is what Francois means.

In Axiom the syntax accepted during interactive input at a
command prompt, e.g.

(1) -> for i in 1..3 repeat (i:=i+1; output i)

must consist of a single line or use line continuations
that look like this:

(1) -> for i in 1..3 repeat (_
         i:=i+1;_
         output i_
)

and are treated as if it was one long line. Note that
commands must be grouped by parenthesis.

Perhaps what you are thinking of, Cliff, is just to avoid
having to type the _ character to continue a line? But
Francios specifically mentioned *.input files.

The syntax for interactive input is different from the
syntax nomrally used in *.input files that are read into
Axiom like this:

  (1) -> )read xxx.input

The *.input file normally uses "pile" format instead of
parenthesis to group commands and looks similar to *.spad
files. For example the file xxx.input might contain:

  for i in 1..3 repeat
      i:=i+1
      output i

--------

The syntax of *.input files is also used on MathAction
between:

\begin{axiom}
\end{axiom}

When interacting with emacs I expect it would normally be
most convenient for Axiom users to be able to type the
*.input syntax in a emacs command buffer. Emacs would send
the contents of the buffer to Axiom by first writing this
buffer to a temporary file (say temp1.input) and then asking
Axiom to execute it by sending the command:

  )read temp1.input

instead of sending the contents of the buffer directly to
Axiom.