RE: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows

From: C Y
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Emacs mode in Windows
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 06:26:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Page, Bill" <address@hidden> wrote:

> In Axiom the syntax accepted during interactive input at a
> command prompt, e.g.
>
> (1) -> for i in 1..3 repeat (i:=i+1; output i)
>
> must consist of a single line or use line continuations
> that look like this:
>
> (1) -> for i in 1..3 repeat (_
>          i:=i+1;_
>          output i_
> )
>
> and are treated as if it was one long line. Note that
> commands must be grouped by parenthesis.

OK.

> Perhaps what you are thinking of, Cliff, is just to avoid
> having to type the _ character to continue a line? But
> Francios specifically mentioned *.input files.

Well, I guess my mind jumped to the _ character issue because it is
sometimes advantageous to type things as multiple lines (large
matricies in particular can be clearer this way.)

> The syntax for interactive input is different from the
> syntax nomrally used in *.input files that are read into
> Axiom like this:
>
>   (1) -> )read xxx.input
>
> The *.input file normally uses "pile" format instead of
> parenthesis to group commands and looks similar to *.spad
> files. For example the file xxx.input might contain:
>
>   for i in 1..3 repeat
>       i:=i+1
>       output i
>
> --------

OK, so it's not something you would input into the regular command
line.

> The syntax of *.input files is also used on MathAction
> between:
>
> \begin{axiom}
> \end{axiom}
>
> When interacting with emacs I expect it would normally be
> most convenient for Axiom users to be able to type the
> *.input syntax in a emacs command buffer. Emacs would send
> the contents of the buffer to Axiom by first writing this
> buffer to a temporary file (say temp1.input) and then asking
> Axiom to execute it by sending the command:
>
>   )read temp1.input
>
> instead of sending the contents of the buffer directly to
> Axiom.

OK...  This should be possible, but it sounds like this is a little
different from what I'm doing currently.  You don't want to support a
different syntax on the command line, but type *.input syntax in a
buffer and load it into a running emacs session.  I think the "right"
way to do that would be to introduce a separate axiom-input-mode that
intelligently handles that issue.  I'll have to give it some thought,
but it's a good idea.

Cheers,
CY