Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Emacs + input syntax
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:45:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Cliff,
>
> To be honest, I don't quite understand all your questions.

No problem - that's almost certainly due to those questions being
incorrectly put together or based on incorrect ideas.  I expect my use
of Axiom as of now is simplistic in the extreme - I have not yet
attempted a serious program in it.  I think that's why I'm not quite
grasping the *.input vs. command-line issue.

> I don't know how useful it is to put _ always at the end of a line.
> What about using Shift-Enter as in Maple? (What was it in Mma?)

I mentioned _ because that's apparently required for some interactions
with Axiom?  I think Shift-Enter or Control-Enter is reasonable.  What
I'm trying to grasp is the issue of )read commands, what people are
doing with them, and how to make Emacs handle it without leaving the
Axiom command line.

> The _ character is special. Think about producing a string that
> consists of a single ". You do this by writing
>
> "_""

Ah.

> As for mmm-mode, I *use* it and I also suggest it for ALLPROSE. It
> works quite nicely for me and is for my taste better than noweb-mode.
> However, I cannot help you if you need to go into the code itself.

I sincerely hope I won't have to.  I also would MUCH prefer to just use
it, but if I have to modify it and incorporate it I will attempt to do
so.  Emacs has been around for a very long time and will likely
continue to be around for a long time - creating an interface the Right
Way is an investment that will hopefully pay dividends for years to
come.  I'm trying to figure out what the "Right Way" is.  I concede I'm
not the best person for this job, but all I can do is try.

Cheers,
CY