Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Literate programming

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Literate programming
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:37:41 +0200

Hi Ed,

So ... just how does one "get started" doing literate programming in
Axiom? Suppose, for example, I am working on a queuing theory model and
want to mix equations, data, graphs, etc. in a paper? Curiously enough,
LyX interfaces directly to noweb but not to Axiom and TeXmacs interfaces
directly to Axiom but not to noweb. :)

That sounds to me as if you have slightly different goals from mine.

I wanted an environment that describes theory and the program in connection to that theory. I didn't have the need to show output of that program. (Well, not yet.)

What you want is basically a running system like Axiom, Maple or Mathematica and *use* that system. The code you are going to write will probably not be much difficult.

Axiom+TeXmacs, Maple-worksheets and Mma-notebooks provide such an environment. But I don't think that is the end of the story. Someone has to write the underlying systems. And there is some theory/ideas/etc behind the code even if it is not connected with mathematics/physics/etc in the first place.

Of course it would be nice to have everything together, but I somehow fear that people who primarily _use_ CASs are not well trained programmers. I think that makes the code part hard to read even if the theory around it is nicely described.

Another point is the integrity of an "interactive" or "computed" document. If the underlying system changes (for example Maple modified its programming language several times) the results in the document might no longer be computable, so the document becomes unusable.

There are lots of problems, that are not yet solved.

I think that TeXmacs is the way to go, but TeXmacs was a bit slow for my taste and the wysiwyg thing somehow contradicts TeX. One should concentrate on the contents not on its appearance. But of course, having CAS command lines integrated into the text is nice.

Ralf